Koshkonong Place - Hoard Hotel
Built as a hotel in 1870, Koshkonong Place attracted canvasback duck hunters who used the railroad to arrive at Koshkonong Station. Room and meals were just $3.00 per day. In 1898, Arthur Hoard son of Governor W.D. Hoard, purchased the hotel and changed the name to Hoard's Hotel. As the numbers of canvasback ducks declined, Hoard developed new social activities at the hotel such as golfing, swimming, and dancing. In 1944, two years after Hoard had passed, a group of Fort Atkinson businessmen formed the Koshkonong Mounds Resort Inc, which is still in operation today, as Koshkonong Mounds Country Club.